Sony Announced Two New Licensed Pro Controllers For The PlayStation 4
Sony announced that Razer and Nacon will be each be releasing a pro gaming-focused controller for the PlayStation 4 later this year. These controllers were developed with competitive gamers and eSports specifically in mind, according to the Sony. Further, each controller has offers a different layout and unique set of features.
The first is the Razer Raiju. Razer’s done some console stuff before. Notably, they’ve a controller for the Xbox that our own Mike Fahey enjoyed. The Raiju is designed for the ‘conquering professional eSports tournaments’ which sounds pretty hardcore for a controller.
The Razer Raiju looks similar to the DualShock 4, along with two symmetrically placed thumbsticks flanked by the face buttons and D-pad. Italso adds a row of dedicated audio controls for managing voice chat, with two extra triggers and bumpers on back of the controller, and two hot swappable configuration profiles
Razer Raiju Features:
- Two extra bumpers as well as two extra detachable triggers
- Two custom profiles that you can instantly switch between and modify
- Trigger-stop switches and hair trigger mode for the ultra-fast trigger responses
- 3.5mm headset jack and dedicated headset volume and mic mute controls
- Compatibility with all the PS4 systems via the braided 3m-long USB cable – detachable for easy storage
- Built-in control panel on front of the controller
- Detachable analog stick rubber caps that provide extra grip during intense gaming sessions
The Nacon Revolution, on the other hand, is more closely resembles Microsoft’s Xbox One controller in terms of the layout by moving the left thumbstick to the top half of the device. The Revolution has a companion PC app that will let you create up to four custom button maps, along with four additional buttons on back of the controller for the extra functionality.
Nacon Revolution Features:
- Eight-way directional pad
- Four extra shortcut buttons
- Four custom profiles – all configurable via the companion PC application, allowing players to: re-map buttons, assign macros to the 4 shortcut controls and adjust analog and trigger sensitivity
- Compatibility with all PS4 systems via 3m-long secure connection USB cable – detachable for easy storage
- 46° amplitude dual analogue sticks, enhanced with the innovative firmware for advanced eSports accuracy and reach
- Two internal compartments with the six additional weights – for a tailored balance and feel
No pricing or concrete release date info has been announced yet for either model, but Sony says to expect both controllers sometime this holiday season.